When you’re going through obstacles alongside your growth journey, I encourage you to keep a journal. Write down the things that are going on. It doesn’t have to be done every day, but when you have an AHA moment or a breakthrough, or when you come across another obstacle, write those circumstances or lessons down. Document them so you can go back and look at them. When you overcome a trial, note the struggle and how you found victory in it.
I promise you, you’re not going to remember all the details and feelings of your journey when you look back on it if you haven’t kept a record of it. It’s important to know where we came from and how we got to where we are now. When we do this, we can help others overcome similar obstacles in their lives and bring them along with us. I kept a journal throughout my entire injury (as you'll see throughout my book when you read it).
In one of my journal entries on March of 2019, I wrote about a follow-up appointment I had with my orthopedic surgeon. On the way to the appointment, I thought for sure he was going to keep me in a boot longer (partly because it took me forever to try walking in the boot). But, you know what? He moved me to a brace to help me stabilize and said he wanted me to start weaning off that, too, as soon as I was ready!
This was progress, and I didn’t remember it until I read it in my journal. Now, looking back on my journal entries, I can see that I made leaps of progress. Had I not written it down, I may not have been able to identify that progress as easily. That’s the power of documenting our struggles and victories.
So what does progress look like, and how do we get going again? These are questions we're going to answer in this episode, so stay tuned!
Rooting for you ~ Gabe
RESOURCES MENTIONED IN EPISODE:
- My newest book -- Victory Run: Turning Trials into Triumphs -- https://redhotmindset.com/victoryrun/
- Ep 146: Taken Off Course - Why Trials Come and What We Can Do about It - https://redhotmindset.com/taken-off-course-why-trials-come-and-what-we-can-do-about-it-episode-146/
- Ep 148: Change Your Perspective - 3 Simple Ways to Turn Your Obstacles into Opportunities - https://redhotmindset.com/change-your-perspective-3-simple-ways-to-turn-your-obstacles-into-opportunities-episode-148/
- Ep 149: 12 Small Steps to Push Through Your Setback and Move into Your Comeback - Letting Go of the Negative and Frustrations in the Midst of Trial - https://redhotmindset.com/12-small-steps-to-push-through-your-setback-and-move-into-your-comeback-letting-go-of-the-negative-and-frustrations-in-the-midst-of-trial-episode-149/
- Ep 151: How to Grow Through What You Go Through So You Can Stay Tough in Tough Times - https://redhotmindset.com/how-to-grow-through-what-you-go-through-so-you-can-stay-tough-in-tough-times-episode-151
CONNECT WITH ME
Mind Over Marathon: Overcoming Mental Barriers in the Race of Life -- https://redhotmindset.com/mind-over-marathon/
Victory Run: Turning Trials into Triumphs -- https://redhotmindset.com/victoryrun/
Simplicity & Motherhood Community: https://www.facebook.com/groups/4mindfulmamas